Saturday, July 17, 2021

THE PRIORITY IN OUR PREACHING



There are vast areas we can and should address in sermons. In a congregation, there is an array of concerns into which the preacher should bring to bear Biblical truth. But, let us never forget that the priority of our preaching is to be the cross of Christ.  It will not be popular with everyone. Those who reject it will count it as utter foolishness, but for those who receive it the power of that cross of Christ will be transformational.  There is no other way of salvation and the message of reconciliation that is proclaimed in the cross must have primacy.  

Spurgeon is often quoted as saying, “Wherever I take a text, I make a beeline to the cross!”  Those who have researched have not found that exact quote. Be that as it may, it certainly was characteristic of his preaching, and ought to be true for us.  On the day I stand before the Lord, I doubt He will say, “You preached about the cross too often!”  May He not say, “You preached about the cross too little!”  Let others judge as they will and say, “I need to hear more than the Gospel. There are practical things in my daily life I need to hear about.”  That is what I have had said to me. But, ultimately, it is the judgment of God that matters and to the priority I have given in preaching the cross, I plead, “Guilty as charged.”

No comments:

Post a Comment