Saturday, June 29, 2024

THE GREATEST CHALLENGE IN PREACHING



Preparing a sermon is challenging, but practicing the sermon is the greatest challenge of all. Paul’s words here in Romans 2:1 remind us of this. “Therefore you are inexcusable, O man, whoever you are who judge, for in whatever you judge another you condemn yourself; for you who judge practice the same things.”

Confronting sin is not to be shunned. The Word of God proclaimed in the power of the Holy Spirit will convict people and call them to repentance. We dare not avoid it. 

But, if we are unwilling to confront the sin in our own lives, then it becomes judgmentalism and we are hypocrites. Hypocrisy has a deadening effect. Just ask Ananias and Sapphira!  

The old axiom is nevertheless essential: “Practice what you preach.”  

The Sadducees were liberals who would not confront sin. The Pharisees were legalists who were about condemning sinners. I do not want to fall into either camp. So, it is crucial to extract the log from my own eye, that I might see clearly from the pulpit to help remove the painful splinter in the church members’ eyes. 

Let God work you over for six days as you look into the mirror of God’s Word, so you can show the reflection of holiness on the Lord’s Day. Cleanse your hands before you take up the scalpel of Scripture to perform spiritual surgery on church folk. They need to have sin removed, but do not need to contract the deadly disease of legalism from us.

I have often said to people who tell me the message convicted them and commend me for it: “I preach to myself and hope that as others eavesdrop, it will help them too.”

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for such a precious reminder. Humility powerfully demolishes my arrogant pride; preparing me to be a vessel of His using. Precious Lord, even more I pray. For your Glory!

    ReplyDelete