Saturday, October 28, 2023

NO KNAPSACK BUT NO LACK

 

I’ve heard it said, “Where the finger of God points, the hand of God provides.”  If you want to make a fortune on earth, I would not recommend ministry as a vocation. But, if God calls you to serve Him, and He sends you into the field of Gospel work, then you can be confident of enough here and eternal reward hereafter!

I type this as I sit in a modest house. I drive a car that is about ten years old with around 200,000 miles on it. My wardrobe is not extravagant and my lifestyle not one of the rich and famous. So what?  It does not matter to me.  If I can meet my obligations—it is enough. 

The disciples testified to this reality. Jesus had sent them out without what one would consider even basic supplies. There was an urgency about the mission which did not allow a lot of preparation. They would learn to walk by faith and not by sight. It is how God wants us all to live. It is a counter-cultural approach that summons us to reject man’s natural inclination and live with supernatural direction.

My Father has never failed me. Day by day, He has cared for me. The One who feeds the fowls and robes the flowers, has kept me nourished and clothed. Sometimes what was going out demanded more than what was coming in. It is good to have a budget, but when you crunch the numbers, they may crash us to our knees.  But, that is a good place to be, and I will tell you that “my God shall supply all your need according to His riches in glory by Christ Jesus.”  (Philippians‬ ‭4‬:‭19‬‬). He has not promised to provide for greed, but to meet need. 

I was basically bi-vocational in my first pastorate—a small country church in the mountains. The membership was mainly senior saints on fixed incomes. A typical offering was $300, of which they paid me about a third of it. We went there with my wife expecting our first child. We had no insurance.  They did provide us a place to stay, but we had to pay for the utilities. The old two story, rock farmhouse had windows that were not tight and when the winds of winter blew hard, the curtains moved!  In a hard rain, water would pour in through the worn shingles and we placed jars and cans to catch the water that dripped through. 

I remember coming home with our little family one night and the furnace was off because the fuel had run out. There was nothing to do but call one of our young deacons who let us spend the night. The next day, they put some oil in. Then the church purchased a wood furnace, and they would let me cut wood off some of their land, sometimes even helping me work it up—and we made it through the winter. When it seemed the food would run out, somebody would bring us some beef for the freezer and some beans they had canned.

There are many other stories of this nature I might tell. Nearly half a century has passed and always God has provided.  Trust Him today. Serve Him always. If you have no knapsack, the Lord promises there will still be no lack. 

My old professor, the late William Willingham, sometimes would sing this song to us in chapel:

1. Sometimes the day seems long,
Our trials hard to bear.
We´re tempted to complain,
to murmur and despair.
But Christ will soon appear
to catch his bride away!
All tears forever over
in God’s eternal day!
 
CHORUS:
It will be worth it all
when we see Jesus!
Life’s trials will seem so small
when we see Christ.
One glimpse of his dear face,
all sorrow will erase.
So, bravely run the race
till we see Christ.
 
2. At times the sky seems dark,
with not a ray of light;
We’re tossed and driven on,
no human help in sight.
But there is One in heaven,
Who knows our deepest care;
Let Jesus solve your problems,
just go to him in prayer.
 
3. Life’s day will soon be o’re,
all storms forever past;
We’ll cross the great divide
to Glory, safe at last!
We’ll share the joys of heaven:
a harp, a home, a crown;
The tempter will be banished,
We’ll lay our burdens down.

No comments:

Post a Comment