Every man of God is a student of the Word of God. A daily feeding of our soul is needed that we might be equipped to feed and lead the flock. It is not enough to study to preach a sermon, but to open God’s Book with an open heart to hear from the Lord. Only as we grow can we elevate others. As I master the contents of Divine Truth, the Spirit uses it to master the communicator by Divine Truth.
The most important thing that I have ever since coming to follow Christ is to regularly ingest and digest “the whole counsel of God.” Morning by morning has found me going through all the Bible in view of prayerfully applying the Scripture in my daily life. Though I certainly have intentionally focused on a portion of the Word as I prepared to preach and teach, I have found that having an overview of all the Bible has helped me proclaim the truth out of the overflow of the Spirit’s instruction to me.
“The need is for a rigorous and widespread personal Bible-reading program that is separate from your preparation for the sermon. Such reading enriches your knowledge and understanding of Scripture, and helps you integrate that knowledge with your ministry of the word. It also enriches your biblical, systematic, and gospel theology, and enables you to adequately and intelligently critique the commentators that you read.” (Tim Patrick, The Whole Counsel of God, location 2680, Kindle edition).
Context is crucial in correctly communicating Biblical content. Of course, there is the immediate context of the paragraph and chapter, but also of the particular book as a whole. But, to get it right goes beyond to the context of the testament and indeed the context of all the Bible. I will not convey the message correctly, unless I have studied the Word comprehensively.

No comments:
Post a Comment