Saturday, November 25, 2023

A CONSUMING FIRE

 

Jesus is our perfect pattern in all things good. In John 2:17, He is seen to fulfill the prophetic word of Psalm 69:9 in His consuming zeal for the house of God.   It is a startling portrait of Christ’s holy passion for His Father’s house. 

Do we have a zeal for God’s house?

I fear there are only a few scattered embers glowing in a few places—and that most “worship” services have the appearance of ashes. Once a fire burned there, but it went cold a long time ago. Revival happens when someone stirs the ash, finds a hot coal buried there, the breath of God blows upon it, and we fuel it with our prayers. It is then the fire can be rekindled. How I long to see it!

Or do I?

If revival tarries then it is not the fault of God. Nor can I point to the godless environment around me, though the world indeed seeks to water any spark. I can rightfully scorn the false fires where carnal Christians mistake emotionalism for a deep work of repentance that is needed.  But to make that the focus is to miss the coldness in my own heart. 

Will it start in the pulpit?

If the preacher does not have a consuming passion for the house of God, then it is unlikely anyone in the congregation will. I think of a chorus I heard many years ago, and invite you to make this your plea:

My eyes are dry
My faith is old
My heart is hard
My prayers are cold
And I know how I ought to be
Alive to You and dead to me

But what can be done
For an old heart like mine
Soften it up
With oil and wine
The oil is You, Your Spirit of love
Please wash me anew
With the wine of Your Blood. (Keith Green)

No comments:

Post a Comment